Gutters joints are considered the weak point of a conventional gutter system. Under increased weight load, sections of your gutter can start to pull apart, creating leaks that can damage your home’s exterior or, in some cases, its foundation as well. That’s why seamless gutters are a smart investment for a notoriously leak-prone flat roof or a standard residential roof. Since, as the name suggests, seamless gutters lack joints, they’re less susceptible to leaks.
Of course, even seamless gutters won’t be able to protect your home if they’re not installed properly. That’s why you should only hire qualified contractors to install seamless gutters. As part of the vetting process – and to learn more about seamless gutters – you should ask your installer these questions:
1. What Are the Seamless Gutters Made Of?
Not all seamless gutters are equal. The durability of seamless gutters depends on their material. Your contractor will usually recommend the material that’s most suited to your area’s climate. Still, it’d be a good idea to learn more about the different types of gutter materials. The most commonly used materials include:
- Aluminum – Thanks to its durability, resistance to corrosion and overall cost-effectiveness, lightweight aluminum is the most popular gutter material on the market. However, aluminum, which is easily dented, might not be the best choice in areas that frequently experience hailstorms.
- Galvanized steel – Galvanized steel is heavier than aluminum, but can better withstand hail and wind-driven debris.
- Copper – Copper gutters are the most expensive option of the three, but they’re also the most durable.
2. Do Seamless Gutters Have Fewer Maintenance Requirements?
Just because seamless gutters are less prone to leaks doesn’t mean they have fewer maintenance needs. Regardless of the type of gutter system you have installed, you should always stick to a routine gutter maintenance schedule.
3. Do Seamless Gutters Cost More?
The price of your seamless gutters depends on its material. However, when making an investment, you shouldn’t get too preoccupied with the costs. Focus instead on the features that can give you value for your money.
Cypress Roofing, the recipient of The Kerrville Daily Times’ Readers’ Choice award, offers a wide range of professional residential and commercial roofing services. To request a quote, call us at (830) 955-5075.